Republican U.S. Representative Paul Ryan, has announced that he will not be standing in the upcoming 2016 Presidential elections.
Paul Ryan was the party’s vice presidential nominee in 2012, but has stated that he does not intend to put himself forward for the race in 2016 as he instead intends to focus on his recently appointed new role as the Congress chairman for the very influential House Ways and Means Committee.
In a statement, Paul Ryan said: “After giving it a lot of thought, I’ve decided not to run for president,”
Paul Ryan, from Wisconsin, is known for being a stalwart budget conservative, according to Reuters and had been considered a potential White House candidate since serving as Mitt Romney’s vice presidential running mate in 2012.
Reuters believes that his decision could have a ripple effect on what is expected to be a crowded Republican field for the 2016 race. It could benefit Wisconsin’s Republican governor, Scott Walker, who is considering a run.
Ryan is chairman of the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee. According to Reuters he said the committee’s work over the next few years will be crucial “and my job as chairman deserves undivided attention.
“It’s clear our country needs a change in direction. And our party has a responsibility to offer a real alternative. So I’m going to do what I can to lay out conservative solutions and to help our nominee lead us to victory,” added Paul Ryan.
While Paul Ryan might be out of the race before it has even started there are other big names still thought to be interested in putting their names into the ring for the battle that is sure to ensue.
According to Reuters, the former Florida Governor Jeb Bush has said he is exploring a run, and Mitt Romney has also told donors on Friday he was still considering another bid himself.
Other potential contenders include Governors Rick Perry of Texas, John Kasich of Ohio and Chris Christie of New Jersey, along with Senators Ted Cruz of Texas, Rand Paul of Kentucky and Marco Rubio of Florida.
Paul Ryan said to NBC News in an interview that he made the decision to pass up a White House bid “weeks ago,” long before Romney’s possible intentions became known.
But he added that what would happen in the future was still unknown, concluding that he plans to “keep my options open.”